Parents find this class is a good addition to any childbirth class.
I can prepare you with the most current understanding of babies. You will learn what their capabilities and biologic needs are so that you can provide responsive, loving care that will lay the foundation for a strong family bond.
This is a 2.5-hour virtual class. Private, in-person classes are now available. Understanding how these amazing little humans are wired and what they are capable of makes our new role as parents a bit easier to navigate.
- What Topics We Will Explore:
- Newborn appearance, capabilities and needs at birth
- Early bonding
- What the needs of families are during the 4th trimester
- Understanding babies' behavior
- Common feeding patterns within the early days to months
- Positions and techniques for burping
- Sleep patterns; Safe sleep environment; Ways to encourage sleep
- Soothing-Using the 5 S’s to calm your baby can work like magic!
- Safety-Holding, swaddling, checking temperature, signs of illness
- Bathing, skin care, nail care, umbilical cord care, diapering
What is included with your class registration:
- A book with beautiful, color photos, a free companion web app with videos, and helpful printable PDFs
- A handout of many of my favorite newborn and infant related resources
- Access to view the pre-recorded class for 6 months
Class fee is 39.00 per family for this class whether attending virtually or if you prefer to purchase the recorded class only.
- Wednesday May 25th from 6-8:30 PM
- Wednesday July 20th from 6-8:30 PM
*Private In-person classes are available. Contact me for scheduling. Fee: 75.00
*New! A pre-recorded class is now available to watch at your own pace, and on your own schedule.
Things To Know About How Babies Develop:
- Babies develop taste preferences while in the womb. So eat a vareity of healthy foods to avoid a picky eater later!
- By 25-26 weeks babies have been shown to respond to outside noises and voices. In the third trimester, they have seen babies' heartrate increase when their parent talked. This is a great opportunity for dads-to-be and partners to bond.
- Touch experienced in ealry life affects how we grow and develop. It teaches babies about being human. For preterm babies, in particular, positive touch=growth.
- You cannot spoil your baby by holding them too much in the early months. The womb gives babies the feeling of being held continuously.
- Tummy Time starts right after birth. A laid back position of the parent with baby on their belly enables them to lift their head and seek out the breast.
- Wearing you baby in a sling or infant carrier helps them with head and neck control, calms them, increases breastfeeding, and helps them learn their days and nights (this one takes some time).