Have No Idea How to Feed and Care for Your Newborn? No Need to Panic! I've Got You Covered.
New little humans have their own, ever-changing playbook!
I can prepare you with the most current understanding of babies. You will learn what their capabilities and biologic needs are so that you can provide responsive, loving care that will lay the foundation for a strong family bond.
Parents find these classes are a good addition to any childbirth class.
Topics We Will Explore:
- Newborn appearance, capabilities and needs at birth
- Early bonding
- What the needs of families are during the 4th trimester
Understanding babies' behavior
- Newborn hospital procedures
- Common feeding patterns within the early days to months
- Positions and techniques for burping
- Sleep patterns; Safe sleep environment; Ways to enourage sleep
- Soothing-Using the 5 S’s to calm your baby can work like magic!
- Safety-Holding, swaddling, checking temperature, warning signs
- Hygeine including bathing, skin care, nail care, umbilical cord care, diapering
"In the presence of a supportive environment, an attached primary caregiver, and a healthy diet, the brain typically thrives." - American Academy of Pediatrics Statement on the First One Thousand Days
I frequently hear new moms say "I must be doing it wrong". But, let's appreciate that neither you or your newborn have done this before.
Topics We Will Explore:
- Optimizing the Golden Hour to encourage breast seeking behaviors
- Feeding frequency in the first several days and why this is important for baby and for milk supply
- Ways to get off to the best start with breastfeeding and promoting a good milk supply
- Actions to take to manage possible bumps along the way: sleepy baby, engorgement, sore nipples, delayed milk
- How it works-how breast milk is made and how some medical conditions and habits can affect your supply
- Positioning to optimize for a deep latch-it really is that important!
- Feeding and sleeping patterns of newborns
- Recognizing hunger and satiation cues
- How partners can help
- Some common breastfeeding tools that may help in certain situations
- When to start pumping
- Breastfeeding nutrition guidelines
"A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three." ~Grantly Dick-Read, MD
I offer these classes each month. Click on the Learn More Buttons above or the class links below to see available dates. If you don't see a date that works for you, contact me with any questions you may have.