Breastfeeding is not just about the milk. It is about building a relationship and a means to nurture your growing child.
As a board-certified lactation consultant, I cannot help but take a deep dive into this topic! Having an understanding of typical newborn behavior is key to navigating the often times confusing early days of breastfeeding. This virtual, interactive class encourages engagement and allows you to have your individual answered.
Your Breastfeeding Class will include:
A good start to breastfeeding:
- Optimizing the Golden Hour to encourage breast seeking behaviors
- Feeding frequency in the first several days and why this is important for baby and for milk supply
- Ways to get off to the best start with breastfeeding and promoting a good milk supply
- Actions to take to manage possible bumps along the way: sleepy baby, engorgement, sore nipples, delayed milk
- Positioning to optimize for a deep latch - it really is that important!
- How partners can help
Newborn Breastfeeding 101
- Feeding and sleeping patterns of newborns
- Recognizing hunger and satiation cues
- How it works-how breast milk is made and how some medical conditions and habits can affect your supply
- Some comon breastfeeding tools that may help in certain situations
- When to start pumping
- Breastfeeding nutrition guidelines
You'll also receive:
- A book with beautiful, color photos, a free companion web app with videos, and helpful printable PDFs
- A list of many of my favorite online resources
Upcoming Virtual Breastfeeding Class: Sunday February 11th from 10AM-1 PM Fee: $75.
*3 Hour Private In-person class is available. Contact me for scheduling. Fee: $200. This includes a book with companion web app with videos and PDFs.
I provide lactation services through the Lactation Network. If you are interested in learning if your insurance plan will cover 100% of 6+ lactation visits that can include both prenatal and postpartum virtual and in-home options, you can check here.
Did you know....
As a IBCLC (Lactation Consultant) I will admit to being endlessly amazed by the power of breastfeeding. Here are some of my favorite interesting facts about Breastfeeding and Human Milk:
- Infants develop taste preferences for the foods the mother eats during pregnancy.
- "Healthy newborns will always prefer the smell of their mother's breast milk over all other smells."
- Human milk has been described as "a customized genetic cocktail specifically designed for each individual".
- "Newborn breastfed babies' saliva combines with breastmilk to release antibacterial compounds that help to shape the bacterial communities in babies' mouths."
- Moms who breastfeed tend to hold their babies more frequently. Their smell (pheramones) make us "addicted to our baby".
- Breastfeeding requires effort from both mom and baby and has benefits for both.
- Breastfed babies often have less gas, constipation and colic.
- Breastfeeding "optimizes oral and airway development".
Amazing, right? Join me for a Breastfeeding class and learn everything you need to know for a successful start to breastfeeding.
Dr. Jane Morton at FirstDroplets.com reminds us that "breastfeeding needs the most attention in the first five days after birth, particularly the first hours". I encourage you to look at the excellent videos on early breastfeeding, hand expression and hands on pumping here.
Build your confidence in birth & new parenthood with more classes!
Childbirth Academy Online Class
No time or challenging schedules making it hard to join a virtual class? You can still get prepared! Check out my new offering The Childbirth Academy.
Newborn and Infant Care Class
My newborn and infant care class offers the foundation you need to understand your baby and provide responsive, loving care.
Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class
Become a more informed consumer with skills to confidently navigate our maternity care system for a more positive birth experience.
Not seeing what you need? I also offer private, accelerated, customized classes for childbirth or combining topics such as comfort measures for birth, newborn care and breastfeeding. The fee is $75/hour for virtual class and $85/hour for in-person. These often are 3-4 hours based on needs. Contact me for availability.